Happy New Years! It is a new year and a new start for 2014. We all know what that means, time for some New Year resolutions! So as we begin our journey into self-improvements whatever they may be, let’s add one more to the list. How about making 2014 a more sustainable year? Here are some easy and life changing ways to do so.
• Stop buying bottle water: Instead of buying all those bottled waters that don’t always end up in the recycling bin, try a reusable water bottle instead.
• Unplug that cell phone charge: After your cell phone is charged unplug the charger itself from the outlet. This can help reduce the waste of electricity.
• Travel green: When traveling try to bring your own toiletries to help save the use of all those tiny bottles you use daily. Also try only using one towel per day and make sure to turn off the lights when you leave the room.
• Cancel unused catalog subscriptions: If you keep getting unwanted magazines or phone books just cancel the subscription. Also, most catalogs are now available online, so there is no need to waste all that paper.
• Recycle batteries and old cellphones: After your batteries are unusable or if you have an old cellphone lying around recycle them. Places such as Radio shack make it easy to just drop off old batteries or cellphones and they will recycle them for you.
• Recycle: Of course the most common tip is to start recycling if you do not already do so. Try to keep your recyclables sorted and neatly organized to make the process easier.
Even if you just add one or two of the above tips to your New Year resolutions it can help the environment and your lifestyle in so many different ways. Keep in mind even the little changes can help in the big picture. Together let’s try to make 2014 the best and greenest year yet!